Math 116 Final Exam
- 1. Find the slope, if it exists. x = -5
- 2. Solve the compound inequality. 4 > -2x + 3 or 10 -4x + 3
- 3. Use the intercepts to graph the equation. x + 2y = 4
- 4. Solve, then graph. y – 1 > -16
- 5. Graph the equation and identify the y-intercept. y + x = -6
- 6. Graph the equation. y = 6
- 7. In 1992, the life expectancy of males in a certain country was 63.7 years. In 1998, it was 67.4 years. Let E represent the life expectancy in year t and let t represent the number of years since 1992.
The linear function E(t) that fits data is? (Round to the nearest tenth)
Use the function to predict the life expectancy of males in 2004? (Round to the nearest tenth)
- 8. Solve, then graph. 9x 54
- 9. Solve the following system of equations. x + 8y = 3 (1) and x = 7 – 8y (2)
- 10. Decide whether the pair of lines is parallel, perpendicular, or neither.
5x + 2y = 9 and 5x + 2y = 1
- 11. Graph the inequality on a plane. 3x + 4y 12
- 12. Find the indicated outputs for f(x)= 4x2– 5x. f(0) = ? , f(-1) = ? , f(2) = ?
- 13. Find the slope, if it exists, of the line containing the pair of points. (2,1) and (4,-7)
- 14. Graph on a number line, where x is a real number. -5
- 15. On three consecutive passes, a football team gains 7 yards, loses 15 yards, and gains 10 yards. What number represents the total net yardage?
- 16. Graph the line containing the given pair of points and find the slope. (1,4) and (-2,-4)
- 17. Graph the system of inequalities. y -5 , x 6
- 18. Media Services charges $20 for a phone and $30/month for its economy plan. The equation c = 30t + 20 describes the total cost, c , of operating a Media Services phone for t months.
The total cost for 3 months of service is?
If a customer has only $90 available, how many months of service can she receive?
Graph for the equation c = 30t + 20
- 19. Solve the system of equations. Then classify the system as consistent or inconsistent and the equations as dependent or independent.
6x – 7y = 21 , 7y – 6x = -21
What is the solution of the system of equations? Is it no solution? Is it a point? Or is it infinitely many solutions?
Is the system consistent or inconsistent?
Are the equations dependent or independent?
- 20. Find the domain of the function. g(x) = 10/8 – 3x (8 – 3x is the denominator)
- 21. Amy paid $88.17 for a pair of running shoes during a 25% off sale. What was the regular price?
- 22. Translate to an algebraic expression. The product of 35% and some number
- 23. Soybean meal is 14% protein; cornmeal is 7% protein. How many pounds of each should be mixed together in order to get 280 lb. mixture that is 13% protein?
- 24. Solve by elimination method.
5x + 6y = 4
10x + 12y = 8
- 25. Graph the equation using the slope and the y-intercept. y = 5/3(x) + 5
- 26. Use the intercepts to graph the equation. x + 4y = 8
- 27. Solve by elimination.
3r – 5s = -12
5r + 3s = 14